American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To design, arrange, set up, or shape with a view to specific applications or uses: a military vehicle that was configured for rough terrain; configured the computer by setting the system's parameters.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form; dispose in a certain form, figure, or shape; make like in form or figure.
- v. transitive To set up or arrange something in such a way that it is ready for operation for a particular purpose, or to someone's particular liking
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To arrange or dispose in a certain form, figure, or shape.
- v. set up for a particular purpose
- Latin configurare: compare French configurer. See configurate. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English configuren, from Old French configurer, from Latin cōnfigūrāre : com-, com- + figūrāre, to form (from figūra, shape; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Among the more notable, he says, is Conficker, which is thought to be a combination of the English word configure and the German word ficker, which is obscene.”
“There's no specific source as to where the worm got its common name, but Internet specialists speculate that Conficker is a portmanteau of the word "configure" with the German word for a common four-letter expletive.”
“That been said with the advent of OSX or BSD I am finding that special free software for music for UNIX, Linux that was a pain to configure is now been made assessable and less time consuming I assume to get up and running on the Apple computer now that steve has switched over to BSD.”
“There are actually several settings that the user can configure, which is unexpected, but they don't seem to help the overall picture quality much.”
“I used Webmin to set up Samba, since the configure is a pain in the butt if you do it via editing conf files. sudo apt-get install samba ssh Just be sure to secure SSH using iptables and use a strong password or keys.”
“Advanced" tab with a million different things to configure, which is also confusing.”
“Its actions are simple to configure, which is how you would expect it to be.”
“The magic happens: it loads all the files inside the directory, and then starts to call the configure script, and I see yes / no lines flying in the output window.”
“The supported way to configure is to pass in "type_hints" when you create the Grid.”
“DO_NOT_COMPILE = "someapp" before calling configure, this will make configure skip”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘configure’.
Looking for tweets for configure.