from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A type of church government in which each local congregation is self-governing.
- n. The system of government and religious beliefs of a Protestant denomination in which each member church is self-governing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several forms of church organization in which each congregation is responsible for its own government
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That system of church organization which vests all ecclesiastical power in the assembled brotherhood of each local church.
- n. The faith and polity of the Congregational churches, taken collectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A system of church government based upon the autonomy of the individual congregation.
- n. [capitalized] The system of ecclesiastical polity and religious doctrine maintained by the Congregational Church. See congregationalist, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. system of beliefs and church government of a Protestant denomination in which each member church is self-governing
Sorry, no etymologies found.