from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An extensive chain of mountains or mountain ranges, especially the principal mountain system of a continent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An extensive, continent-wide chain of mountains, especially one in the Americas.
- n. A region of Canada, similar to the Appalachian, but with mostly new mountain ranges.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mountain ridge or chain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A continuous ridge or range of mountains.
Spanish, from cordilla, diminutive of cuerda, cord, from Latin chorda; see cord.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Spanish, from Old Spanish cordilla, cordiella, diminutive of cuerda ("a rope, string"). See cord. (Wiktionary)