from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A garland, wreath, or circlet for the head.
- n. Linguistics A coronal consonant.
- adj. Of or relating to a corona, especially of the head.
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the direction of the coronal suture or of the plane dividing the body into front and back portions.
- adj. Linguistics Articulated by raising the blade of the tongue, as (t) in tip and (n) in night.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A crown or coronet.
- n. A wreath or garland of flowers.
- n. a variant of colonel
- n. The frontal bone, over which the ancients wore their coronae or garlands.
- adj. relating to a crown
- adj. relating to the corona of a star
- adj. relating to the corona of a flower
- adj. relating to a sound made with the tip or blade of the tongue
- adj. a "coronal plane" or a "coronal section" divides a body into dorsal (back) and ventral (front)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a corona (in any of the senses).
- adj. Of or pertaining to a king's crown, or coronation.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the top of the head or skull.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the shell of a sea urchin.
- n. A crown; wreath; garland.
- n. The frontal bone, over which the ancients wore their coronæ or garlands.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a crown; relating to the crown or to coronation.
- In anatomy and zoology, pertaining to a corona, in any sense of the word; coronary. Specifically— Pertaining to the corona or top of the head: as, the coronal suture (that is, the frontoparietal suture); coronal feathers of a bird.
- Corresponding to the coronal suture (that is, transverse and longitudinal) in direction: said of any plane or section of the body extending from one side to the other through or parallel with the long axis: distinguished from sagittal: as, a coronal section of the foot.
- Of or pertaining to a corona, or halo around one of the heavenly bodies; specifically, pertaining to the corona of the sun.
- n. A crown, wreath, or garland.
- n. The head of a tilting-lance of iron, furnished with two, three, or four blunt points, which give a good hold on shield or helmet when striking, but do not penetrate.
- n. The tilting-lance itself.
- n. In anatomy, the coronal or frontoparietal suture. See cut under skull.
- n. In biology, a coronal or crowning cell; one of the ectoblasts of a segmented ovum in certain stages of its development.
- In botany, pertaining to a corona in any of the botanical senses of that word.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes
Middle English, from Latin corōnālis, of a crown, from corōna, crown; see crown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin coronalis ("related to a crown"), from corona ("crown"). (Wiktionary)