American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A yellow, progesterone-secreting mass of cells that forms from an ovarian follicle after the release of a mature egg.
- n. anatomy A yellow mass of cells that forms from an ovarian follicle during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle in mammals; it secretes steroid hormones.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) the reddish yellow mass which fills a ruptured Graafian follicle in the mammalian ovary.
- n. yellow endocrine tissue that forms in a ruptured Graafian follicle following the release of an ovum; it degenerates after a few days unless pregnancy has begun
- From Latin corpus ("body") + lūteum ("yellow") (Wiktionary)
- New Latin corpus lūteum : Latin corpus, body + Latin lūteum, neuter of lūteus, yellow. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘corpus luteum’.
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Words gathered while reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Looking for tweets for corpus luteum.