from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Color; -- chiefly used in a few French phrases, as couler de rose, color of rose; and hence, adjectively, rose-colored; roseate.
- n. A suit of cards, as hearts or clubs; -- used in some French games.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the game of solo, a name for any selected suit of cards, bids in which are of twice as much value as in any other suit.
- n. In the game of ombre, a suit composed of spades.
- n. In rouge-et-noir, the square (marked ‘couleur’) in which the banker pays all bets when the first card dealt for red or black is the same color as the winning color.
Sorry, no etymologies found.