from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A countering attack or blow, especially one delivered by a boxer.
- intransitive v. To deliver a counterpunch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A punch delivered in return of a previous punch by somebody else, such as an opponent in a boxing match.
- v. To deliver a punch designed to exploit an opponent's momentary defensive weakness caused by a punch thrown by the opponent.
- v. To deliver a competitive response to an opponent designed to exploit a weakness created by the opponent's offensive efforts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a return punch (especially by a boxer)
counter- + punch (Wiktionary)