American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A quick survey; a glance.
- n. A glimpse, a glance; the ability, especially of a military officer, to understand much at a glance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mil.) The faculty or the act of comprehending at a glance the weakness or strength of a military position, of a certain arrangement of troops, the most advantageous position for a battlefield, etc.
- n. a quick look
- French coup d'œil ("stroke of the eye"). (Wiktionary)
- French coup d'œil : coup, stroke + de, of + oeil, eye. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“When afterwards traveling by himself, a student can not pass an advantageous position without examining it minutely; and at any place by a glance of the eye, or coup d'oeil (as the French call it) is enabled to judge of the best disposition that could be made of his party in every possible situation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘coup d'oeil’.
Whut. Huh. Make it quick, I's gotsta go TV or whatever. Huh? That's too brainy.
Looking for tweets for coup d'oeil.