from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy The hip or hip joint.
- n. Zoology The first segment of the leg of an insect or other arthropod, joining the leg to the body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The basal segment of a limb of various arthropods (insects and spiders, for example).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The first joint of the leg of an insect or crustacean.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The femur or thigh-bone.
- n. In anatomy: The hipbone, os coxæ or os innominatum.
- n. The hip-joint.
- n. In entomology, the first or basal joint (sometimes called the hip) of an insect's leg, by which it is articulated to the body.
- n. The basal joint of the leg of a spider or a crustacean; a coxopodite (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the acetabulum
Latin, hip.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)