from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. Present participle of craze.
  • n. A covering of fine cracks on a hard smooth surface such as a glazed object or car exterior.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Fine cracks resulting from shrinkage on the surface of glazed pottery, concrete, or other material. The admired crackle in some Oriental potteries and porcelains is crazing produced in a foreseen and regulated way. In common pottery it is often the result of exposure to undue heat, and the beginning of disintegration.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A cracking; a chink or rift.
  • n. In pottery, a separating of the glaze from the body, forming blisters which are easily broken.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.