from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several edible varieties of summer squash having a narrow crooked or curved neck and a yellow rind and flesh.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several yellow varieties of squash having a curved neck
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Either of two varieties of squash, distinguished by their tapering, recurved necks. The summer crookneck is botanically a variety of the pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo) and matures early in the season. It is pale yellow in color, with warty excrescences. The winter crookneck belongs to a distinct species (Cucurbita moschata) and is smooth and often striped.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a crooked neck: applied to several varieties of squash having a long recurved neck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. yellow squash with a thin curved neck and somewhat warty skin
Sorry, no etymologies found.
That said, there are such setbacks as Karma's occasional stepping into the big bed, the healthily growing crookneck squash plant octopusing suddenly (turning over so that it looks like an octopus) twice in a row, resulting in the main stem snapping, and the utter disasters that the inverse planters have been as inverse planters.
Various and sundry, including herbs, peppers, cucumber and yellow crookneck squash:
The crookneck squash plants that were seeded directly into the crap soil in the yard are doing very well indeed.
Here's one of the inverse planters, carrying either long cucumber or yellow crookneck squash, I'm not sure which.
Karma later decided to see what was what at the neighbor's place and stepped into the bed so she could get a better idea ... that nailed a crookneck squash plant, some of the sprouting bag carrots, and two marigolds in a starter pot.
I find a crookneck lamp on the bench helps tons ... and it is not only the overloaded round one is looking for, it is the empty round, too.
Mmmm, sounds very much like one my mom used to make - crookneck squash, Rotel tomatoes, onions, chilies, cheese, and sour cream on top.
Dolcezza will have crookneck pumpkin gelato ($2 per scoop, $6 per half - pint).
Lamb immediately went for the spigot down the fence from the basil, Roma tomatoes and crookneck squash she and her 4-year-old daughter planted in the spring.
Carrots emerged from the ground in a rainbow of orange, yellow and red hues, and crookneck squash grew giant-sized under fuzzy elephant-ear leaves.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.