from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To question closely; cross-examine.
- n. A question asked during cross-examination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a question performed during a cross-examination
- v. to subject to close questioning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a question asked in cross-examination.
- transitive v. To cross-examine; to subject to close questioning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To question minutely or repeatedly; put the same questions to in varied forms; cross-examine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a question asked in cross-examination
- v. question closely, or question a witness that has already been questioned by the opposing side
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“The reason why we convened this court is not to give the accused a platform from which he can continuously cross-question the court.”
The meeting itself is just a chance for all who wish to hear and cross-question the three finalists: an eve-of-poll hustings.
If she cannot think and cross-question, why did she raise the question in the first place?
It is as necessary to cross-question the Marquise as it is to examine the
The inquisitor may cross-question, but he will not inflict a fine; the threatener may hurl his menaces, but he will do no mischief — that is why they take it all so easily.
But she was astute enough to have recognised his instinctive need to probe and cross-question, Silas recognised.
“You cross-question me rather unfairly,” he replied,
She thought that he had been to Boxall Hill, and was only waiting a proper moment to cross-question him sternly on the subject.
Here too may the explanation of a thing which seemed to be against the laws of human nature, and upon which I longed, but dared not to cross-question Lorna.
The attorney then got up and began to cross-question him.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.