American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A beam that connects the piston rod to the connecting rod of a reciprocating engine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person whose skull is marked with the crossed coronal and sagittal sutures; a skull so marked.
- n. In mechan., a beam or rod stretching across the top of something; specifically, the bar at the end of a piston-rod of a steam-engine, which slides on ways or guides fixed to the bed or frame of the engine, and connects the piston-rod with the connecting-rod, or with a sliding journal-box moving in the cross-head itself.
- n. In printing, same as cross-heading.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mach.) A beam or bar across the head or end of a rod, etc., or a block attached to it and carrying a knuckle pin; as the solid crosspiece running between parallel slides, which receives motion from the piston of a steam engine and imparts it to the connecting rod, which is hinged to the crosshead.
- n. metal block that connects to a piston; it slides on parallel guides and moves a connecting rod back and forth
- n. a heading of a subsection printed within the body of the text
“As a supervisor at one local elevator-repair company and the founder, in 1973, of Century Elevator, another repair business, he says that his employees would find old crosshead plates while out on jobs.”
“This is my own collection, since I was 11 years old," he explained during a recent tour, standing before a display of crosshead plates that forms the centerpiece of his tiny museum.”
“The part of the housing to which the static grinding disk is fastened is welded to a crosshead made of channel steel 60.”
“The crosshead is fastened to the pipe frame by means of clips which can be made either of pipe or of square steel.”
“Large metal planing machines were well known by 1830, and by midcentury crossheads and crosshead guides were used on both sides of the Atlantic in engines with and without working beams.”
“The crosshead of the reciprocating air pump is guided by a Peaucellier linkage shown at the center.”
“_Top left_, straight-line linkage; _top right_, crosshead and guide arrangement; _lower left_, piston rod _A_ is guided by sectors _D_ and _E_, suspended by flexible cords.”
“The condensers are placed at the outsides of the engine room, and the air, feed, and bilge pumps are between the engines and the condensers and worked by levers from the low-pressure engine crosshead.”
“The strains are direct and the power and resistance are equalized by the inertia of the crosshead, piston, rods, and fly wheels.”
“This a straight line direct-acting engine, with steam and air pistons connected to a single rod through a crosshead which connects with two fly wheels.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crosshead’.
terms found in documentation for implantable medical devices and IVD equip
words and phrases containing cross
A sort of stuffie of words/phrases that include "head"
head of cattle, out of one's head, head of the stairs, come to a head, head of steam, head of the page, win by a head, head taller, headway, fountainhead, heads or tails, hit the nail on t... and 143 more...
Looking for tweets for crosshead.