from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A beam that connects the piston rod to the connecting rod of a reciprocating engine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A metal beam that connects a piston to a connecting rod in an engine
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beam or bar across the head or end of a rod, etc., or a block attached to it and carrying a knuckle pin; as the solid crosspiece running between parallel slides, which receives motion from the piston of a steam engine and imparts it to the connecting rod, which is hinged to the crosshead.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person whose skull is marked with the crossed coronal and sagittal sutures; a skull so marked.
- n. In mechan., a beam or rod stretching across the top of something; specifically, the bar at the end of a piston-rod of a steam-engine, which slides on ways or guides fixed to the bed or frame of the engine, and connects the piston-rod with the connecting-rod, or with a sliding journal-box moving in the cross-head itself.
- n. In printing, same as cross-heading.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. metal block that connects to a piston; it slides on parallel guides and moves a connecting rod back and forth
- n. a heading of a subsection printed within the body of the text
Sorry, no etymologies found.