from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Croton, which includes the sources of cascarilla bark and croton oil.
- n. An Old World tropical evergreen shrub (Codiaeum variegatum) widely cultivated as a houseplant for its glossy multicolored foliage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various plants, of the genus Croton, that yield croton oil.
- n. A tropical evergreen shrub, Codiaeum variegatum, having glossy foliage, cultivated as a houseplant.
- n. The main water supply pipe to a building or apartment, from the Croton River, dams, reservoirs and aqueduct supplying New York City with water.
New Latin Croton, genus name, from Greek krotōn, castor oil plant.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)