from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous minute rudimentary, crystalline bodies of unknown composition found in glassy igneous rocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small region of a solid that consists of a single crystal; a grain
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A minute mineral form like those common in glassy volcanic rocks and some slags, not having a definite crystalline outline and not referable to any mineral species, but marking the first step in the crystallization process. According to their form crystallites are called trichites, belonites, globulites, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Whinstone cooled slowly after fusion.
- n. The term suggested by Vogelsang as a general name for aggregations of globulites in various forms. See cumulite, margarite, and longulite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous minute rudimentary crystalline bodies of unknown composition found in glassy igneous rock
crystal + -ite? (Wiktionary)