American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A frothy mass of liquid secreted on plant stems as a protective covering by nymphs of the spittlebug. Also called frog spit.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A froth or spume secreted by sundry homopterous insects, as the common frog-hopper, Aphrophora or Ptyclus spumarius. Also called froth-spit.
- n. An insect which secretes a froth or spume, as a frog-hopper: called in full cuckoo-spit froghopper.
- n. A frothy mass of white liquid that is secreted onto plants by froghopper larvae and serves as a protective covering.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A small hemipterous insect, the larva of which, living on grass and the leaves of plants, exudes this secretion. The insects belong to Aphrophora, Helochara, and allied genera.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cuckoo spit’.
i can't never forget thiccyn's!
Flora, fauna and other things common in the time and place where I grew up
Looking for tweets for cuckoo spit.