from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hood-shaped organ, resembling a cowl or monk's hood, as certain concave and arched sepals or petals.
- n. A color marking or structure on the head somewhat resembling a hood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cowl or monk's hood: as in the proverb Cucullus non facit monachum (the cowl does not make the monk). See hood.
- n. [NL.] In zoology and anatomy, a formation or coloration of the head like or likened to a hood.
- n. In botany, an organ folded in the form of a hood or cowl, as the upper sepal of Aconitum.
Sorry, no etymologies found.