from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various tropical Asian plants of the genus Curcuma, which includes turmeric and zedoary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of plants of the order Scitamineæ, including the turmeric plant (Curcuma longa).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Curcuma.
- n. A genus of plants, natural order Scitamineæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical Asiatic perennial herbs
New Latin Curcuma, genus name, from Arabic kurkum, saffron.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)