from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tough protective covering outside the epidermis of many invertebrates and plants; cuticle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the outer body wall of an insect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoöl. and anat.:
- n. The cuticle proper; the epidermis; the ectoderm; the exoskeleton; the superficial investment of the body, in so far as this is formed by or derived from the epiblastic cells or epiblast of the embryo, whatever its ulterior modification.
- n. In infuserians, a comparatively dense envelop to which the outer wall of the body gives rise. Also cuticulum.
- n. In annelids, as the earthworm, a thin and transparent though tough membrane, forming the outermost envelop of the body, and perforated by extremely minute vertical canals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the outer body wall of an insect
From Latin cutīcula ("skin, cuticle") (Wiktionary)