from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various blue dyes, used to sensitize photographic emulsions to a greater range of light.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a family of synthetic blue dyes used in photography etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a series of artificial blue or red dyes obtained from quinoline and lepidine and used in calico printing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The blue coloring matter of certain flowers, as the corn-flower, violet, and species of iris.
- n. In chem., a beautiful blue dye, chinoline blue, prepared by acting on a mixture of chinoline and lepidine with amyl iodide. Unfortunately it does not resist the action of light, and hence has lost its importance as a dyestuff, but, it is used in making orthochromatic plates for photography.
Sorry, no etymologies found.