from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The electronic medium of computer networks, in which online communication takes place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A world of information through the Internet.
- n. The internet as a whole.
- n. A three-dimensional representation of virtual space in a computer network.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a computer network consisting of a worldwide network of computer networks that use the TCP/IP network protocols to facilitate data transmission and exchange
A portmanteau of cybernetics and space, coined by science-fiction writer William Gibson in his 1982 short story collection Burning Chrome and popularized in his 1984 novel Neuromancer. (Wiktionary)