from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cylindrical surface or solid, all of whose sections perpendicular to the elements are elliptical.
- adj. Resembling a cylinder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cylinder with elliptical cross-section.
- n. A certain three-dimensional surface described by a moving straight line, used to illustrate the motions of a rigid body and the forces that act upon it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A solid body resembling a right cylinder, but having the bases or ends elliptical.
- n. A certain surface of the third degree, described by a moving straight line; -- used to illustrate the motions of a rigid body and also the forces acting on the body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A solid body bounded by a cylindrical surface cut orthogonally by elliptical bases.
- n. A conoidal cubic surface whose equation is z(x + y)—2 axy = 0.
- Having the form of a cylinder with equal and parallel elliptical bases.
- n. In anthropology, a cranium the norma vertical is of which is elongated, flattened at the forehead and occiput, and rounded at the sides.
- n. In pathology, a body resembling a tube-cast, consisting usually only of mucus.
cylinder + -oid (Wiktionary)