American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. South African Indian hemp used as a narcotic; cannabis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In South Africa, Cannabis Indica, the Indian hemp, which is used by the natives as a narcotic. It is collected, dried, and smoked by the lower classes of Hottentots, who are rendered stupid and incapable of connected work while under the influence of it. See hashish, deiamba, and Cannabis.
- n. South Africa Indian hemp, Cannabis sativa indica, or a similar plant of the genus Leonotis.
- n. South Africa Cement.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a relatively nontoxic South African herb (Leonotis leonurus) smoked like tobacco.
- n. relatively nontoxic South African herb smoked like tobacco
- From Shona (Wiktionary)
- Afrikaans, from Khoikoin dachab. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Cannabis plants that have more than 1,5 percent of the narcotic tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are classified as dagga and are illegal in South Africa because of the potential for abuse.”
“At that stage, the police supplied various drugs such as dagga, heroin and LSD to the project.”
“Growing 'dagga' (cannabis) is the sole means of livelihood for most peasant farmers in Kwazulu-Natal and the eastern Cape, the report says.”
“Bhudu said authorities at these sections informed prisoners that they would not strip prison privileges, but would instead conduct cell and body searches to remove unauthorised items such as dagga, alcohol and knives from prisoners.”
“The cleaning-up operation also comprised removing all illegal possessions, such as dagga and sharpened objects, from prison cells, he said.”
“Prisoners rather switched to drugs such as dagga and Mandrax which were "fairly easily" available in prison.”
“In various forms it has long been familiar throughout the world: in Africa as "dagga," in China as "ma," in Northern Europe as "hemp.”
“The 'dagga' (steel drum) was rusty in places and there was a dent from transport but the smaller teak wood drum was in perfect condition and they both had the recommended goat hide skins.”
“A Port Elizabeth judge heard Hilton describe how indigenous 'dagga' weed was given to her by local entrepreneurs - posing as night club bouncers.”
“The hotel heiress was taken into police custody and held in a cell after watching the soccer World Cup match between Brazil and Holland in Port Elizabeth as undercover police officers said they had found local marijuana, known as "dagga," in her handbag.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dagga’.
words derived from Zulu found
There is a Scottish boat called
a zulu built by William Campbell
Names of various "medicinal" Cannabis strains, harvested from various sources.
Looking for tweets for dagga.