American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To eliminate cerebral brain function in (an animal) by removing the cerebrum, cutting across the brain stem, or severing certain arteries in the brain stem, as for purposes of experimentation.
- adj. Deprived of cerebral function, as by having the cerebrum removed.
- adj. Resulting from or as if from decerebration: decerebrate rigidity; decerebrate movements.
- adj. Lacking intelligence or reason.
- n. A decerebrate animal or person.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Deprived of the cerebrum; associated with or consecutive to removal of the cerebrum.
- Same as decerebrize.
- adj. biology Having the cerebrum removed
- v. To remove the cerebrum in order to eliminate brain function
- v. remove the cerebrum from (a human body)
- de- + cerebrate (Wiktionary)
“Our voice remains the final bastion against incipient Islamic brain death, when Muslims will become spiritually decerebrate.”
“When will Obama-worshippers cross the “threshold of decerebrate genuflection”?”
“If the Democratic party actually had any leadership, or even more than a handful of people who are not decerebrate, they would close this down.”
“This is no longer the case by around 2 months of age, when decerebrate infants begin to exhibit the rigidity typical of PVS patients.”
“The fact that decerebrate newborns behave much more similarly to normal newborns than to decerebrate adults is already an important distinction that cannot be overemphasized.”
“Also, associative learning and conditioning, which can occur in some decerebrate newborns, have, to my knowledge, never been reported in older PVS patients.”
“But at the newborn stage, the essential difference between normal and decerebrate infants is in the area of potential for future development, with only subtle differences in actual, present functioning.”
“An intellectual who had carved a niche in the decerebrate world of satellite broadcasting, he was an interesting choice as an interviewer.”
“I'd rather see them wrestle than be turned into drooling decerebrate mutants like modern show St. Bernards any time.”
“Its growth was rapidly accelerated by nanoassemblers, but it remained in a virtually decerebrate condition under external life support until its skull was sufficiently large enough for your brain to be transplanted.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘decerebrate’.
Inspired by the creepy decadence of Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans.
katzenklavier, pasilalinic-sympa..., the jewel-encrust..., bird's nest soup, ghost net, bottom trawling, coal industry, cat juggling, rattlesnake roundup, fishing, dancing bear, defoliant and 89 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list of terms that denote separating one thing from another, or deconstructing a thing into its parts or to a former state. E.g., untie, divorce, unscramble.
Words you can type with one hand--if you learned how to type formally. Hunt-and-peck method doesn't count. ;-) I'm keeping it to five or more letters to avoid an excessively lengthy list.
Looking for tweets for decerebrate.