Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In Scots law, to decree; judge; adjudge.
- To discern; discriminate.
- In Scots law, to decree; pass judgment: an essential word in all decrees and interlocutors.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To perceive, discern, or decide.
- v. (Scots Law) To decree; to adjudge.
- First attested in late Middle English circa 1425; from the French décerner, from the Latin dēcernō ("I decide”, (law): “I pronounce a decision"), from dē ("of”; “from”, “away from") + cernō ("I separate”, “I distinguish"), whence the English cern. In Old French, the forms of décerner were frequently conflated with those of descerner, discerner; the two verbs were not clearly distinguished until the sixteenth century; hence, in English also, decern is found with the sense discern. (Wiktionary)
“Not known nationally for his genius,. he did however decern the intrinsic logic and has as far as I know,. not blown up anything or anyone else since.”
“As you read their blogs, it is sometimes gramatically impossible to decern if they ever went to school.”
“The fact that democrats cannot decern the difference between the reason for "outrage" of this administration's behavior and their own behavior in the 1990s shows further among many other things why I'll never be able to vote for them.”
“It happened at one time he heard his mother (for see neither of them could, as to decern in so dark a place) bemoan her condition.”
“God, and to our covenants, any considering person may decern.”
“Affliction upon me In my old Age: and Acording to our best observation we could not decern that shee knewe what we came for before we tould her”
“It is much more elusive to track or decern but equally as valid.”
“The unbeliever being a "natural man" does not have the ability to properly decern”
“Yet God forbid that the land should complay with him, quhatever may be the plauseable and faire carriage of some of that enimey, yet doubtless there is ane levin of error and hypocrassy amongest them wich all the lovers of treuth wold decern and avoyd.”
“Nevermind and decern the distractions of the global warming / climate crap they are trying to ram down the throats of us all to make us tree huggers and at same time tax us on feeding greenlife with c02, man truth is twisted to ram crap down our throats so Truth, brings justice ideally, justice can set people free”
‘decern’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for decern.