from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A North American mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) having white feet and underparts, and a long, bicolored tail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus, formerly Hesperomys leucopus) of America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common name of the American jumping-mouse, Zapus hudsonius, the only member of the family Zapodidæ (which see): so called from its agility.
- n. A popular name of several species of true mice indigenous to North America, of the family Muridœ and genus Hesperomys.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. brownish New World mouse; most widely distributed member of the genus
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.