from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The abatement of a fever.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The departure or subsiding of a fever.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A subsiding from a state of ebullition; loss of heat; lukewarmness.
- n. The subsidence of a febrile process.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Abatement of heat; the state of growing cool; coolness; lukewarmness.
- n. In pathology, abatement or decrease of fever or feverish symptoms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abatement of a fever as indicated by a reduction in body temperature
Exanthem subitum typically occurs between 6 months and 2 years of age and is characterized by an abrupt rise in temperature, often to approximately 40°C, followed several days later by a rapid defervescence that coincides with the emergence of an erythematous maculopapular rash that can persist for several days.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.