from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Statistics Any of the unrestricted, independent random variables that constitute a statistic.
- n. Physics Any of the minimum number of coordinates required to specify completely the motion of a mechanical system.
- n. Physics Any of the independent thermodynamic variables, such as pressure, temperature, or composition, required to specify a system with a given number of phases and components.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the coordinates, a minimum number of which are needed to specify the motion of a mechanical system
- n. Any of the independent variables required to specify the thermodynamic state of a system containing components and phases
- n. Any unrestricted variable in a frequency distribution
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (statistics) an unrestricted variable in a frequency distribution
- n. one of the minimum number of parameters needed to describe the state of a physical system
Sorry, no etymologies found.