from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of splitting or separating a laminate into layers.
- n. Embryology The splitting of the blastoderm into two layers of cells to form a gastrula.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The separation of the layers of a laminar composite material as a result of repeated stress, or failure of the adhesive
- n. The formation of a gastrula by the splitting of the blastoderm
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formation and separation of laminæ or layers; one of the methods by which the various blastodermic layers of the ovum are differentiated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A splitting apart in layers; a laminar dehiscence: a term specifically applied in embryology to the splitting of a primitively single-layered blastoderm into two layers of cells, thus producing a two-layered germ without invagination, embolism, or proper gastrulation.
Sorry, no etymologies found.