American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To remove magnetic properties from.
- v. To erase (a magnetic storage device).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deprive of magnetic polarity.
- To demesmerize; restore from a mesmerized state to normal consciousness.
- Also spelled demagnetise.
- v. To make something nonmagnetic by removing its magnetic properties.
- v. To erase the contents of a magnetic storage device.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To deprive of magnetic properties; to render nonmagnetic. See magnetize.
- v. archaic To free from mesmeric influence; to demesmerize.
- v. erase (a magnetic storage device)
- v. make nonmagnetic; take away the magnetic properties (of)
- From de- + magnetize (Wiktionary)
“In response to a question from Clinton, Gray argued that the best way to "demagnetize" the situation was to find third countries willing to provide "safe haven" for the boat people until Aristide could be restored.”
“Still, the administration is trying to "demagnetize" America and persuade potential refugees to stay at home.”
“They didn't even bother to ask for her receipt anymore when the librarians didn't demagnetize a book quite right and it set off the detectors on her way out, “go ahead, have a nice day,” they would say simply and with a casual wave of their hand.”
“The new systems cut down on one of the big annoyances of typical key cards that use magnetic strips: the cards sometimes demagnetize and stop working.”
“They demagnetize my credit cards so I cannot carry the key in my handbag.”
“She twisted and pulled, trying to demagnetize them, but they held firm.”
“The Legend - Eelskin wallets demagnetize credit cards due to leftover charges from the electric eels used to make them.”
“I recently wrote a post called Science and the Urban Legend in which I debunked (among other things) the false belief that eel skin wallets demagnetize credit cards because of the residual electricity left over from the eels theyare made from.”
“When iron on earth is diffused with more than 1% carbon it is difficult to magnetize and demagnetize.”
“Navy to demagnetize nuclear-missile submarines before they deploy, to make them harder to detect.”
Looking for tweets for demagnetize.