from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous species of the orchid genus Dendrobium native to tropical or subtropical Asia, Australia, and the islands of the Pacific Ocean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Dendrobium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An extensive genus of orchidaceous epiphytes, distributed through southeastern Asia from India to Japan, Australia, and the islands of the South Pacific.
- n. In entomology, a genus of coleopterous insects.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of the genus Dendrobium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a plant of the genus Dendrobium having stems like cane and usually showy racemose flowers
New Latin, genus name : dendro- + Greek bios, life; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)