from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove nitrogen or nitrogen groups from (a compound).
- transitive v. To reduce (nitrates or nitrites) to nitrogen-containing gases, as by bacterial action on soil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to remove nitrogen, often through the breakdown of nitrogenous compounds and the release of nitrogen gas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To deprive of, or free from, nitrogen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To remove or destroy nitrates.
- In bacteriology, to break down nitrates into nitrites, and nitrites into ammonia compounds, or to liberate nitrogen from any of these compounds by bacterial action.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. remove nitrogen from
de- + nitro- + -ify (Wiktionary)