from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Architecture One of a series of small rectangular blocks projecting like teeth from a molding or beneath a cornice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a series of small rectangular blocks projecting like teeth from a molding or beneath a cornice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small square block or projection in cornices, a number of which are ranged in an ornamental band; -- used particularly in the Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite orders.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture one of a series of little cubes into which the square member in the bed molding of an Ionic, a Corinthian, a Composite, or occassionally a Roman Doric cornice is cut.
- n. In heraldry, one of the teeth or indents in anything indented or dancetté: used alike of the projecting teeth and of the notches between them.
Obsolete French dentille, from Old French, diminutive of dent, tooth; see dentist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French dentille, ultimately from Latin dente, ablative singular of dēns. (Wiktionary)