from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mathematics A mathematical variable whose value is determined by the value assumed by an independent variable.
- n. Statistics The observed variable in an experiment or study whose changes are determined by the presence or degree of one or more independent variables.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In an equation, the variable whose value depends on one or more variables in the equation.
- n. an outcome measured to see the effectiveness of the treatment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a varying quantity whose changes are arbitrary, but are regarded as produced by changes in another variable, which is called the
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (statistics) a variable in a logical or mathematical expression whose value depends on the independent variable
Sorry, no etymologies found.