from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To take unawares or by surprise; to catch or seize (a criminal etc.) in the act.
- v. To detect; to discover; to find out.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To take unawares or by surprise; to seize, as a person commiting an unlawful act; to catch; to apprehend.
- transitive v. To detect; to discover; to find out.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To catch; take unawares or by surprise; seize, as a person committing an unlawful act.
- To apprehend; learn.
Latin deprehendere, deprehensum; de- + prehendere to lay hold of, seize. See prehensile. (Wiktionary)