American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To cleanse or purify or become cleansed or purified.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To purify; free from impure or heterogeneous matter; clarify; cleanse.
- [The prefix de- taken as priv.] To render impure.
- Cleansed; pure: as, “a very depurate oil,”
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Depurated; cleansed; freed from impurities.
- v. To free from impurities, heterogeneous matter, or feculence; to purify; to cleanse.
- Medieval Latin dēpūrāre, dēpūrāt- : Latin dē-, de- + Latin pūrus, pure; see peuə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He wanted to weep, but he'd long ago lost the ability to depurate himself through the means of emotion.”
“When wine has been kept some time to depurate in wooden vessels, it deposits, on the side of the vessel, a hard crust of dark coloured matter, the taste of which is sour.”
“Happy shellfish depurate,'' said Diane Regan, a bacteriologist at the state's Shellfish Purification Plant on Plum Island Point.”
“They like this spa-like environment so much, they depurate, or cleanse themselves of contaminants, making them fit for their ultimate dates with drawn butter and tartar sauce.”
“And not only I never try'd any Chymical Oyles whose tast was not very manifest and strong; but a skilful and inquisitive person who made it his business by elaborate operations to depurate Chymical Oyles, and reduce them to an Elementary simplicity, Informes us, that he never was able to make them at all Tastless; whence I might inferr, that the proof Chymists confidently give us of a bodies being saline, is so far from demonstrating the Predominancy, that it does not clearly Evince so much as the presence of the saline Principle in it.”
The Sceptical Chymist or Chymico-Physical Doubts & Paradoxes, Touching the Spagyrist's Principles Commonly call'd Hypostatical; As they are wont to be Propos'd and Defended by the Generality of Alchymists. Whereunto is præmis'd Part of another Discourse relating to the same Subject.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘depurate’.
List of adjectives such as everduring that do not frequent common speech and writing. A continuation of my list Adjectival Arcana, which had grown to over 7700 words and had become far too cumbersome.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
worth pouring over
Looking for tweets for depurate.