from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy An area of skin innervated by sensory fibers from a single spinal nerve.
- n. Medicine An instrument used in cutting thin slices of the skin, as for skin grafts.
- n. Embryology The part of a mesodermal somite from which the dermis develops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used surgically to remove a thin slice of skin for grafting
- n. An area of skin which is innervated by afferent nerve fibers coming to a single posterior spinal root
- n. The cutis plate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A knife with a very fine blade, used for removing certain skin- blemishes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical instrument used to cut very thin slices of skin
derma- + -tome.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
derma- + -tome (“instrument for cutting”) (Wiktionary)
dermat- + -ome (“mass”) (Wiktionary)