from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An action to recover possession or the value of property wrongfully detained.
- n. The writ authorizing such action.
- n. Law The act of unlawfully detaining personal property.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A legal action to reclaim goods wrongfully detained.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person or thing detained.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, an old form of action, now little used, brought to recover possession of specific articles of personal property unlawfully detained.
Middle English detenue, from Old French, detention, from feminine past participle of detenir, to detain; see detain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)