from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The dispersion of the Jews among the Gentiles after the Captivity.
- n. Any similar dispersion.
- n. A group so dispersed, especially Jews outside of the land of Israel.
- n. The regions where such a dispersed group (especially the Jews) resides, taken collectively.
- n. Any dispersion of an originally homogeneous entity, such as a language or culture.
From Ancient Greek διασπορά (diaspora, "dispersion"), from διασπείρω (diaspeirō, "I scatter"), from διά (dia, "across") + σπείρω (speirō, "I sow"). (Wiktionary)