from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nook or alcove located in or near a kitchen and used for informal meals.
- n. The table and chairs used to furnish such an area.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small space within a dwelling, usually alongside a kitchen, used for informal dining; a dining alcove or nook.
- n. Furniture for an indoor informal dining space, usually consisting of chairs and a small table.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of preliminary dinner; a luncheon. See extract under dinner-hour.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small area off of a kitchen that is used for dining
dine + -ette.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)