from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of spinose, plectognath fishes, having the teeth of each jaw united into a single beaklike plate. They are able to inflate the body by taking in air or water, and, hence, are called globefishes, swellfishes, etc. Called also porcupine fishes, and sea hedgehogs.
- n. A genus of whales.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ichthyology: A genus Of globe-fishes, of the suborder Gymnodontes and order Plectognathi. [lowercase] A species of the genus Diodon.
- n. In ornithology, a genus of two-toothed falcons of South America: same as Bidens, Diplodon, or Harpagus.
- n. In mammalogy, a genus of cetaceans: same as Ziphius.
- n. In herpetology, same as Anodon, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Diodontidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.