from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove buds from (a plant) to promote better blooms from the remaining buds or control the shape of the plant.
- transitive v. To prevent the growth of newly developing horns on (livestock).
- transitive v. To remove such horns from (livestock).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To remove buds from a plant in order to promote growth and health in the remaining buds.
- v. To remove horn-buds from a young calf, lamb or goat kid, to prevent growth of horns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To deprive of buds or shoots, as for training, or economizing the vital strength of a tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deprive of buds or shoots; remove the unnecessary buds of, as a tree or vine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. destroy undeveloped horn buds (of cattle)
- v. thin out buds to improve the quality of the remaining flowers
dis- + bud (Wiktionary)