from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To alter the status of (something established by authority or general acceptance).
- transitive v. To deprive (a church) of official governmental support.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To deprive (an established church) of its official status.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To unsettle; to break up (anything established); to deprive, as a church, of its connection with the state.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deprive of the character of being established; cause to cease to be established; specifically, to withdraw from exclusive state recognition or privileges, as a church.
- To unsettle; set aside; remove from established use.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. deprive (an established church) of its status
From dis- + establish. (Wiktionary)