from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To reduce in rank or rating; demote.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lower a rate or rating
- v. To demote a sailor to a lower rank
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To reduce to a lower rating or rank; to degrade.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, to reduce to a lower rating, as a petty officer, or a non-commissioned officer of marines.
dis- + rate (Wiktionary)