from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See hellgrammite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The aquatic larva of a large neuropterous insect (Corydalus cornutus), used as bait in fishing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The aquatic larva of a large neuropterous insect (Corydalus cornutus), used as bait in angling. See hellgamite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The larva of one of various species of neuropterous insects of the family Sialidæ, especially of the genus Corydalus (which see). Also called hellgrammite, clipper, and crawler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large soft-bodied insect having long slender mandibles in the male; aquatic larvae often used as bait
- n. large brown aquatic larva of the dobsonfly; used as fishing bait
Probably from the name Dobson.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)