Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which doffs; specifically, a revolving cylinder in a carding-machine, which doffs or strips off the cotton from the cards. See cut under carding-machine.
- n. textile manufacturing A revolving cylinder, or a vibrating bar with teeth, in a carding machine, which doffs, or strips off, the cotton or fiber from the cards.
- n. A worker who replaces full bobbins by empty ones on the throstle or ring frames.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mach.) A revolving cylinder, or a vibrating bar, with teeth, in a carding machine, which doffs, or strips off, the fiber from the cards.
- n. (Spinning) A worker who replaces full bobbins by empty ones on the throstle or ring frames.
- From doff (Wiktionary)
“The roll of webbing _A_ is beaten and transferred to the cylinder _H H_, carded by the spiked belt _E_, removed by the "doffer" and formed into a”
“The cotton bales are opened and thrown into the automatic feeder which carries up a layer of cotton on a spiked apron from which it is removed by a rapidly revolving "doffer" underneath which is a screen which catches some of the dirt.”
“Women, held in Washington in 1888, Mrs. H.H. Robinson, after telling how she entered the Lowell Mills as a "doffer," when a child, gave a brilliant description of the intellectual life and interests of the workers.”
“She ran huge, dangerous, dirty machines on a shift system, and, at 13, was a supervisor (doffer) over a whole floor of other (mostly female) workers.”
“In the mill, since he was such a good doffer, did people look up to him?”
“DAVIDSON: Put up a red flag for the loom fixer, a yellow flag for the filling, and green flag for the cloth doffer.”
“The cylinder would turn this way and the doffer would turn this way, and the doffer would take it off and bring it around and make”
“That dust would accumulate in the doffer as it turned between the doffer and the cylinder.”
“Paul was a doffer, and if they caught up with their frames before some of them were full enough to be doffed off, if they wanted to run to the store they could go to the store and come back, and like that.”
“To this was afterwards added a Cottontown school for the younger children, who before had been slaves to the spinner and doffer carts.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘doffer’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This list is basically an excuse for me to list the word wool four times in a row.
Words gatherd while reading The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.
Looking for tweets for doffer.