from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See dolphin.
- n. A constellation of the Southern Hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish, the mahi-mahi or dolphin, scientific name Coryphaena hippurus, with a dorsal fin that runs the length of the body, also known for iridescent coloration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A southern constellation, within which is the south pole of the ecliptic; -- called also sometimes Xiphias, or the Swordfish.
- n. A large, oceanic fish of the genus Coryphæna.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small southern constellation, created by Bayer, north of the great Magellanic cloud.
- n. [lowercase] Same as dolphin, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor; contains most of the Large Magellanic Cloud
Going to South America to catch the golden dorado is one of my dream trips that would be a trip of a lifetime for me.
"Normally, fresh dorado is a pipe dream at altitude, but this is amazing," said angler
Note on the above: The dorado is most definitely not a salmonid.
El-dorado is expanding its facilities for the production of uranium.
I went to my favorite seafood taco stand today, determined to try dorado, which is on the menu.
Even more widely available are fresh snapper, wahoo (similar to tuna) and mahi-mahi – another delicious white fish that is also known as dorado or locally (and rather bizarrely) dolphinfish.
I believe in vacations rebecca billingsley - el dorado, California
La Iglesia empezó a participar cada vez más en la vida pública mexicana; los medios de comunicación ya no podían depender del dinero que les diera el Estado y tuvieron que enfocarse en la sociedad; el crimen organizado ya no tuvo encima al Gobierno que los controlaba con dos herramientas: la violencia y el dinero; y la iniciativa privada vio su momento dorado para sacudirse el yugo estatal.
There are 53 species of reef fish, rather fewer on the rocky-sandy reef, but over the sands there are several fish important to sportsmen: dorado Coriphaena hippurus, roosterfish Nemastitius pectoralis, blue marlin Makaira nigricans, striped marlin Tetrapterus audax, sailfish Istiophorus platypterus, swordfish Xiphius gladius and yellowtail kingfish Seriola lalandi.
Some 70 commercial fish and 12 invertebrate species are regularly taken, mainly blue shrimp, gulf grouper, anchovy, sardines, dorado, squid and various species of marlin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.