from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See dolphin.
- n. A constellation of the Southern Hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish, the mahi-mahi or dolphin, scientific name Coryphaena hippurus, with a dorsal fin that runs the length of the body, also known for iridescent coloration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A southern constellation, within which is the south pole of the ecliptic; -- called also sometimes Xiphias, or the Swordfish.
- n. A large, oceanic fish of the genus Coryphæna.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small southern constellation, created by Bayer, north of the great Magellanic cloud.
- n. [lowercase] Same as dolphin, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor; contains most of the Large Magellanic Cloud
Spanish, dolphin (fish), from Late Latin deaurātus, past participle of deaurāre, to gild; see dory2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish dorado, from the verb dorar ("gild, give a golden color"). (Wiktionary)