from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A word or phrase having a double meaning, especially when the second meaning is risqué.
- n. The use of such a word or phrase; ambiguity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of double entendre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A word or expression admitting of a double interpretation, one of which is often obscure or indelicate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A word or phrase with two meanings, or admitting of two interpretations, one of which is usually obscure or indelicate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ambiguity with one interpretation that is indelicate
Obsolete French : double, double + entendre, to mean, interpretation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)