from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A train with two engines, (predates baseball term).
- n. Two games played on the same day at the same venue.
- n. Two fishermen each catching a fish at the same time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. two events, usually entertainment or sports performances, occurring immediately in succession or within a short time of each other; especially, two sports games played by the same teams on the same day, one right after another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A railroad-train drawn by two engines, or pulled by one engine and pushed by another.
- n. In lumbering, a place from which it is possible to haul a full load to the landing, and where partial loads are topped out or finished to the full hauling capacity of teams.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. two games instead of one (especially in baseball when the same two teams play two games on the same day)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Winning a doubleheader is a very difficult thing to do in the big leagues," Rangers manager Buck Showalter said.
Reliant Stadium played host to the 5A title doubleheader last year, with Katy beating Wylie for the Division II championship and Hightower falling to Allen for the Division I crown before a combined crowd of more than
Rainiers, who improved to 3-1 in doubleheader games.
Norwich, which fell to 6-8 in doubleheader contests.
On Sunday they capped a 5-0 road trip by sweeping a doubleheader from the Royals.
A doubleheader is scheduled for Sunday to make up one of the two games.
Eric Gagne recorded his ninth save, Andy Ashby went out and pitched eight innings of one-hit, eight-strikeout ball as the Dodgers swept a doubleheader from the Cubs
ARLINGTON, Texas (Ticker) -- Mike Lamb's RBI double broke an eighth-inning tie and Rafael Palmeiro capped the three-run rally with a solo homer as the Texas Rangers swept a twi-night doubleheader from the Baltimore Orioles with a 5-2 victory.
Gooden returned to site of his greatest glory and allowed two runs over five innings and Tino Martinez homered and drove in three runs as the Yankees took the opener of the historic home-and-home day-night doubleheader from the Mets, 4-2.
Latest Hall of Famer, Akihiko Honda, influential impresario of Teiken Promotions, presents a world title doubleheader tomorrow (Saturday) at the Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama City, Japan.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.