from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The party on which an order for the payment of money is drawn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The party directed to pay the amount of a draft or check.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The person on whom an order or bill of exchange is drawn; -- the correlative of drawer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One on whom an order, draft, or bill of exchange is drawn-that is, the one to whom its request is addressed; the person requested by a bill of exchange to pay it. see extract under drawer, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the person (or bank) who is expected to pay a check or draft when it is presented for payment
Sorry, no etymologies found.